Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Author Stop: Piper Huguley

Today we have the lovely Piper Huguley stopping by to share a few odds and ends with us! 


1. You've won an exculsive writing retreat w/any author in the world! (not really, but wouldn't that be nice?!) Who would be that author?

Well, since I'm already going on a writer's retreat in January with my first choice of authors, I'll make note of my second choice. I would love to retreat with Jewell Parker Rhodes, the author of Douglass's Woman. Brilliant biographical fiction


2. What is a fav salty snack, and a fav sweet snack?

My favorite salty snack is a mixture of plain potato chips and pretzels mixed together.
My favorite sweet snack are white chocolate pretzel joys which are bits of pretzels in white chocolate....So many pretzels, the Pennsylvania in me is showing....


3. If you could receive any writing award, what would it be and why? 

I think all authors would like to win the Pulitzer someday. It's the big prize in United States fiction. I'm not putting down the Nobel prize because I don't think any Americans are going to win that one for a long long time.


4. I love historicals, and am often in awe of how authors manage to peg their settings. How do you go about researching you historical novels? 

I am a professor of United States literature from the 19th and 20th centuries. Before I can teach the literature, I have to set up the historical context for the students. So the historical research is part of what I do for the day job I've been doing for nearly 14 years, not counting graduate school.


5. What is a fav line(s) from A Most Precious Pearl?

"Ooohh Mags, you is kissing him!"

I'm not going to say who says it and under what circumstances. You'll have to read A Most Precious Pearl to find out. Thanks!


***

They’re cut from different cloths…but their hearts are a perfect fit.

Asa Caldwell returned from the Great War with nothing to show for it—as in nothing below his left knee. Forget about the journalism career he loved. His story is over. Done.

Yet he finds the strength to journey to Winslow, Georgia, to get Ruby Bledsoe Morson’s sister out of trouble. Before he can bring Mags Bledsoe home, though, a spate of mysterious attacks reawakens his investigative instincts.

During the war, Mags did her duty to God and country by stepping into a management role at the textile mill. Now she’s been shuffled back to the rank and file—and Asa has her hard-earned job. Not only is the infernal man doing everything wrong, her plan for revenge against the mill owner who lynched her childhood sweetheart is farther out of reach than ever.

As they clash over almost everything, Mags begins to set fire to Asa’s soul, bright enough to dim the memory of the killing fields of France. Enough to give him a new mission in life—to make her feel the same way.

Warning: Contains a wounded warrior who’s done with fighting…and one feisty woman who makes him snap to attention.


***

piperhuguley

Named in 2015 as a top ten historical romance novelist in Publisher's Weekly, Piper Huguley is the author of the Reconstruction era "Home to Milford College" series. She is a 2013 & 2014 Golden Heart finalist for two novels in the "Migrations of the Heart" series about the Bledsoe sisters and set in the early twentieth century.

 As always, a $5 Amazon gift card will be rewarded to a commenter. Please remember to follow Piper at one or more of her social media sites. Thanks!

24 comments:

  1. Started reading A Most Precious Pearl this morning, and I know I'll enjoy it as much as I did A Virtuous Ruby. Wonderful and enlightening interview of one of my favorite authors. Thanks Leandra and kudos Piper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you and thank you for stopping by Edwina!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful interview, and love the pretzel part also, I love pretzels as well. Going to go purchase my book. "A Most Precious Pearl" today. I enjoy reading all your books so far Piper, who knew I would be reading romance. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for giving romance (and my books) a chance, 777tsalagi!

      Delete
  4. What I love about Piper's romances is the hero and heroine are so well matched although they don't realize it at first. This one is intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What I love about Piper's romances is the hero and heroine are so well matched although they don't realize it at first. This one is intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a little different, Elaine, but it's still a romance. I hope others can see that as you did. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  6. Ha! I love that favorite line she picked :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. aahh potato chips and pretzels! that's one of my fav combos, my mom always loves it too! Something about it...yum. and of course choc covered pretzels is like my number two weakness (cookies are always number 1 lol) and the book sounds amazing, that line had me giggling out loud! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I liked potato chips and pretzels together from the time I was a kid and had to clean up the bowls of snacks at the end of the party....thanks for commenting, Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the ARC OF A MOST PRECIOUS PEARL! Wayne should be posting my review soon. I enjoyed the story of the amazing Mags! You are a very gifted writer. Between you and Beverly Jenkins, Historical Romance is now a favorite genre. Can't wait to read about the next sister. Could it be Nett? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Brenda! I appreciate that. And you are right. A Treasure of Gold is about Nettie. Only 2 months away! Thank you for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  10. Ooh, sounds fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johnell! I appreciate those kind words!

      Delete
  11. Wow, she sounds amazing, especially having been named by Publisher's Weekly as one of the top ten historical romance novelists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A point of clarification, if I may, Leandra! Beverly Jenkins curated the list that appeared on Publisher's Weekly that appeared this past February. Thanks, though Stephanie!

      Delete
  12. Thanks for putting the spotlight on this book and its author!!! I'm definitely piqued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vijaya! I hope you give Mags and Asa a try!

      Delete
  13. Oh this sounds lovely! And wait, pretzels and Pennsylvania? I had no idea about that connection. (Also, bonus on another professor/author :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh! A research junkie. Super awesome. I love historical stories.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those salty snacks sound good. I love the warning. Looks like a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  16. And Medeia Sharif is the winner of the Amazon gift card!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!