Thursday, September 10, 2015

The Kidlet's Room: An Update

Almost two years ago, I posted about the kidlet's room. Just last week, I looked around at that same room, and realized...it needed an update. Not a decorating update, but a content update. The kidlet's two bookshelves were full-- of baby stuff. Stacks of receiving blankets and baskets that still had diapers and pacifiers in them. Baby monitors and booger sucker-upers (there is probably a technical term for those things, but honestly, that's pretty much what they do). 

The kidlet didn't play in there often, except to check out his books and make book piles on the floor. And no wonder, because there were hardly any toys in there. I mean, who wants to play with a booger sucker-uper?  The majority of his toys were in the den, and some in a basket in the living room. That has since changed, as one evening (and then most of the next morning) I organized 80% of his toys on his shelves. He loved helping, and is in love with the results. Especially the robot shelf. He's kinda obsessed with that shelf...


Before:

Now:

The biggest change between the above pics is the fish tank my in-laws bought. I (like a true decorator) was sad that my adorable button lamp arrangement on top of the dresser had to be replaced, but no way could a pressed wood and laminate bookshelf hold a ten-gallon fish tank, so onto the dresser it had to go.


A close-up of the treasured robot shelf. The book contains a robot you can take out and make.





Before:

Now:
As you can see, we add to add another basket for the books. (Which makes me happy!)
 

Here is Popcorn (in the ball) and Goldie, and below is Master of the Submarine, Stripes.


Another change since he's became a big boy, are posters. The super-hero one actually glows in the dark. We got these posters from inside of books. Thin paperbacks, that cost around $6-7 at our local bookstore, Viewpoint Books. The Thomas the Train book also has train tickets in it, and stickers. Can't beat that kind of small investment!


* * * 

So there you are, an update of the kidlet's room. Who knows, next time I do one of these, there will probably be teenage clothes strung everywhere and strange band posters instead of cartoon ones. I need to enjoy all this small child fun while I can! 

12 comments:

  1. My kiddo would LOVE a room like that. Maybe one day I'll go through everything…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing the stuff they accumulate- and they don't even have money to get it with! I call it 'too-much grandparent love'. ;)

      Delete
  2. Aww, this is so fun!! I can't wait to have kids and decorate their rooms! You're literally mother goals, Leandra =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! It is fun, I will admit. =) I try to stay away from the kid decorating aisle at Hobby Lobby. They have the cutest stuff!

      Delete
  3. Okay, so here's the deal: do my kids rooms for me. Do it. Do it. Do it!!!! lol
    It looks great!!!!! I'm about to separate my twins and have to redo their individual rooms (after dumping all my hubbies collectibles from my son's soon to be room) and while I can't wait to decorate and stuff, I'm also dreading it! But now you're making me feel inspired! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we closed by, I'd be all over that offer! =) And I'd just start out small, that way it doesn't feel overwhelming. Three rooms is a lot to handle!

      Delete
  4. Too cute! I love that you use "kidlet" too. I call my kids that all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The perfect combo of kid and piglet. 'Cuz they kinda are... ;)

      Delete
  5. I'm pretty sure booger sucker-upper is the technical term. What a fun room. I am in love with those book shelves. How kid friendly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good to see you enjoying this. Your son is a very lucky boy to have such a beautiful room. My kiddos didn't spend much time in their room, except to sleep and only around age 5, so everything ended up in the family room or in our room! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe they are called snot suckers. You have the best decorating sense ever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful!
    Lucky kid :)
    We moved twice between when our sprout was born and age 4, so all the toys/clothes/books got a thorough inventory each time, and it was a great chance to pare down some of the outgrown things. We just did this again this year - now that he's 11 (!) and this time, he was old enough to help. Next time, it can even be his job. Maybe. Hopefully. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!