Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Author Stop: Marilou Reeder & THE DARING PRINCE DASHING

Today, author Marilou Reeder is here to talk about daring princes and the best dessert ever! 

1. Being raised in Wisconsin, what would you tell ppl about that state that they might not know?

Wisconsin is not all cheese, brats, and football! There is a small city in the state called Wisconsin Dells which is truly the waterpark capital of the world. And there’s Little House on the Rock, an eclectic museum of sorts that shouldn’t be missed if you happen to be visiting the area. My favorite pastry, Kringle, is made only in Racine, WI. It’s made in a large oval shape, filled with anything from raspberries to cheese, and topped with icing. Light, flaky, and delicious (okay, now I’m making myself hungry!). Growing up, I always felt that there was a real appreciation for the arts--not just to observe them, but to be active participants in them. That was very enriching as a child. The winters are cold, of course, but the people are incredibly warm.


2. After a picture book is sold, do the authors do much collaborating with the illustrators?
Not in my case. Early in the creation of the book, I was shown some sample spreads by the talented Karl West. It’s a thrilling experience to find out who will be illustrating your text! After that, months went by, and my editor, Julie Matysik, emailed me with art for the entire book asking for input regarding continuity. Julie was wonderful about listening to my comments. Karl and I never communicated directly at this time, though, and that was probably best. He brought so much of his own vision to the book. The spreads are brimming with humorous details, and I know readers will enjoy poring over them as much as I do. I see something new every time I read the book.


3. How well do you think your children would get along with Daring Prince Dashing if he were to suddenly take up residence in your lives?

It’s funny you ask this, because our next door neighbor is a Prince Dashing, and he is very much a part of our lives. He and my youngest daughter pal around all the time.They explore! And ride scooters down the hill! Fortunately, we don’t live near any crocodiles.


4. What do you consider the best.dessert.ever?

This is a tough one, because I don’t think I’ve met a dessert I didn’t like. Key lime pie is a favorite.


5. What is a fav line(s) from The Daring Prince Dashing?

“The next morning after a breakfast of rattlesnake eggs with Whoopin’ Hot Sauce, Prince Dashing made an announcement.”

You’ll have to read the book to find out what his announcement is.

* * *


Prince Dashing is daring and will stop at nothing to find a new friend!

Prince Dashing bathes with crocodiles, eats while dangling upside down from the tallest trees, and toasts s’mores by dragon’s breath.

The night of the royal ice cream social, he meets a girl as adventurous as he is. But at the stroke of bedtime, the girl hurries off, leaving behind her mysterious stick. In his usual daring way, Dashing ventures out to search for the stick’s owner. He gallops by groups of thugs, tromps past toothy crocodiles, and eventually stumbles into the zoo. Will he ever find his friend?

Follow Dashing and one equally daring girl in this humorous tale of fearless fun and friendship.


* * * 


Happiest when I'm creating. Author of THE DARING PRINCE DASHING, Sky Pony Press. Mom of three. Represented by @KatRushall of Marsal Lyon Literary.


11 comments:

  1. Okay, now I want to try this Kingle thing :) Great interview and such a fun sounding book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, that's one I HAVE to track down and read with the kids. I just requested it into my library system. Now to get my copy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome, Crystal! Libraries rock. =)

      Delete
  3. This book just sounds irresistible. And I LOVE her cover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute is this book!? :) Love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You might not have communicated directly with the illustrator, but at least they kept you in the loop and valued your input.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute book! I haven't had much communication (if any in some cases) with my illustrators either. It's funny because a picture book is 50/50 between the author and illustrator, yet they often don't confer with one another. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview! Fun book! Congratulations!!!! And to think I passed up a chance to go to med school in Milwaukee.

    I think it's typical not to have any communication with the illustrator. It's so fun to see how they bring their own vision to the story. I've always been so impressed with the added layers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the kind words, everyone! And thanks again, Leandra, for letting me stop by!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!