I've seen these from time to time around the web, & filed the idea away for a someday post. I guess that someday is today! Much of mine is what I think many of us all wish for, but there might be a new one here or there.
1. Hold a paperback or hardback of my book. There are several ebook publishers I wouldn't mind being published by (at all), but I definitely want to get physical with one of my stories someday (ew, haha!).
2. Hit the NYT's bestseller list. Is there a writer alive who doesn't want this?
3. See my book on the bigscreen. How awesome would it be to go to your local theater, and watch a world created by you come to life, hopefully surrounded by family and friends. Fantastico! See? I don't even need a red carpet & flashing lights (hear that, Universe? I'm open to being humble!).
4. Book signings. I know these can be a hit or a miss, but I at least want to have the chance to sit at a table & see if anyone shows up. (I will bring candy! Please come!)
5. Participate in a book panel. Note, I didn't say be a speaker at a conference (which I'm not eloquent or smart enough anyway!). That just sounds too nerve-wracking. But sitting w/other authors & answering questions seems like it'd be a good time.
6. Win an award. It would be nice to see my book have some kind of pretty gold or silver sticker on it. Though I'm not super-versed in lit prizes. Caldecott, Newbery, & Printz are about the only ones I know of. I'll gladly take a lesser one!
7. Have one kick-butt book launch party. After reading & writing, my next passion is party planning. Getting to plan a party centered around my book is something I daydream about all the time. Like, you don't even know. I mean, obviously, I just told you, but...yeah. You don't even.
8. Dedicate my first book to my Mom. My mother read to us when we were infants, and never stopped. Without her, I wouldn't love the written word the way I do & so it goes without saying, the first one is for her.
9. Meet my critique partners. Kimberly, Kristin, & Beth are my girls. I so want to meet them one day!
10. Have a book trailer. I am super picky about these, so having a good one would be lovely. But under two minutes, as I get impatient with long ones.
* * *
So there you are, my book dreams in a list. Some are lofty, but what good are dreams if you don't dream high, eh? Feel free to share any of your own!