Thursday, November 19, 2015

My Writer Bucket List

I've seen these from time to time around the web, & filed the idea away for a someday post. I guess that someday is today! Much of mine is what I think many of us all wish for, but there might be a new one here or there. 

1. Hold a paperback or hardback of my book. There are several ebook publishers I wouldn't mind being published by (at all), but I definitely want to get physical with one of my stories someday (ew, haha!).

2. Hit the NYT's bestseller list. Is there a writer alive who doesn't want this?

3. See my book on the bigscreen. How awesome would it be to go to your local theater, and watch a  world created by you come to life, hopefully surrounded by family and friends. Fantastico! See? I don't even need a red carpet & flashing lights (hear that, Universe? I'm open to being humble!). 

4. Book signings. I know these can be a hit or a miss, but I at least want to have the chance to sit at a table & see if anyone shows up. (I will bring candy! Please come!)
 
5. Participate in a book panel. Note, I didn't say be a speaker at a conference (which I'm not eloquent or smart enough anyway!). That just sounds too nerve-wracking. But sitting w/other authors & answering questions seems like it'd be a good time.

6. Win an award. It would be nice to see my book have some kind of pretty gold or silver sticker on it. Though I'm not super-versed in lit prizes. Caldecott, Newbery, & Printz are about the only ones I know of. I'll gladly take a lesser one! 

7. Have one kick-butt book launch party. After reading & writing, my next passion is party planning. Getting to plan a party centered around my book is something I daydream about all the time. Like, you don't even know. I mean, obviously, I just told you, but...yeah. You don't even. 

8. Dedicate my first book to my Mom. My mother read to us when we were infants, and never stopped. Without her, I wouldn't love the written word the way I do & so it goes without saying, the first one is for her. 

9. Meet my critique partners. Kimberly, Kristin, & Beth are my girls. I so want to meet them one day! 

10. Have a book trailer. I am super picky about these, so having a good one would be lovely. But under two minutes, as I get impatient with long ones. 

* * *

So there you are, my book dreams in a list. Some are lofty, but what good are dreams if you don't dream high, eh? Feel free to share any of your own! 

38 comments:

  1. I would take any of these - though a movie might scare me, since it'd be so far out of my control and could be super bad…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This could be true! I generally expect book to movie adaptations to not be near as good, and then sometimes, I'm pleasantly surprised, heh.

      Delete
  2. I've hit four of those, which was four more than I ever thought I'd hit. Now I just want to see my stories on the big screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! And I've a feeling your books would be amazing on the big screen- space and spaceships leave lots of room for some rad effects. =)

      Delete
  3. You'll get there Leandra! :) I've had the chance to do a couple on your list, but it might take me a lifetime the achieve the others. And LOL on number six. I'm right there with you, though I completely disagree with your view that you aren't smart enough! I'm simply wayyyy to shy in such a big, public setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved getting to see pics of when you did your book event at the bookstore. So neat! And thanks for thinking that I would be, heh! And yeah, me too, all by yourself up there- ugh, no way. A panel would spread the attention out, and would be so much nicer!

      Delete
  4. Best of luck on achieving your goals, Leandra! They may sound lofty, but a lot of them are not-at-all impossible! ;-)

    I've done #1, 8, and part of #9. I would never-ever-ever want to do #5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome, Barbara! And there's nothing like public speaking to make people say never-ever-ever. ;)

      Delete
  5. That is an excellent bucket list. If I was to go with #9, I'd vote for me visiting my New Zealand CP (and then go visit Hobbiton while I was there).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, New Zealand! Be honest now, did you pick your cp for their location? Lol! ;)

      Delete
  6. Wonderful list ... I share many of your book dreams, like movies, awards, best-selling. Leandra, you will love your first physical book. You'll kiss it. And your mom will too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be some major kissing going on! =) And thanks, Vijaya, I'd like to think she would.

      Delete
  7. Love the list! It does feel fantastic to hold your book in your hand!!! The book signing and panel sound great, but it's making me feely panicky lol. The panel as oppose to being a speaker does sound like a much better and fun option!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great bucket list! I've never really thought of a writer's bucket list, but now that it's in my head, I share a lot of the ones you mentioned :) One that's close to my heart is that I really hope to meet all my critique partners some day as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to list it all out. And I hope you get to too!

      Delete
  9. We'll totally make #9 happen. That's easy. Indiana isn't thaaaat far from PA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so true. Just kind of up and around the corner, right? =)

      Delete
  10. I can so totally imagine your book launch party! I'm sure it would be epic. And I love your list. Gah, what I wouldn't give for a film on the big screen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Can't you sometimes rent out a theater? I'd totally love to do that & then invite all my friends & family. My excitement level would prolly be on heart-attack leve tho...

      Delete
  11. Wonderful list, Leandra! I think holding an actual copy of my book would be at the top of my "literary bucket list" too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking forward to my launch party invite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Trust me, the whole world is gonna be invited to that shinding.

      Delete
  13. Great list, Leandra! I think winning an award would be awesome, very reaffirming since writing can be so subjective. I hope your book dreams come true SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, I've done a few of these but hitting one of those lists would be a dream come true. I was going for the NYT list but I think I'd be equally as stoked for USA Today, which is supposedly easier to hit. Fingers crossed it will happen some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! I'd be a-okay w/the USA list too. ;)

      Delete
  15. The first step to realizing your dreams is to define them. Great list! I hope you get every single one of those things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this list! We all need one of these...and as early in our careers as possible so that we can check things off as we go and feel that sense of accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know these will all come true! And I just know we're going to meet some day!! How can we not?? <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great list!! I know you'll make these dreams come true! And I can't wait to see your launch party... it will be EPIC and there will be many many fabulous cupcakes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! I hope it is epic, and that I don't have a stress-related heart attack trying to make it happen, lol!

      Delete
  19. Oh, I love this list!!! Especially #9. Can't wait until we meet in person! And I know your future launch party will be epic! :)

    (Thanks for the laugh on #1—you are too funny.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great list! Seeing a book of mine in a bookstore is on my list. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!