Thursday, December 31, 2015

2015 Lookback & 2016 Goals

I set writing goals every year. I'm not a huge stickler on them, but it's nice to make them and strive amiably to hit them. If I do (booyah!), if not, that's okay too. Here's what I set last year: 

1. Write two books. Nope. I wrote one book, two short stories, and a picture book. And did a whole lot of revising on another book.

2. Get an agent/publishing contract. Nope. Which let's admit was a dumb one to make! Though I did make it with the intent to focus on my work ethic more. And I think I did pretty decent with that. There were some months toward the end of the year I slacked off, but I'd changed jobs. And while I really like it, it's a totally new (and difficult) field for me, which meant my brains kind of were melting. And some days, still are!

3. Relax about getting an agent/publishing contract. Okay, total fail. Last year I had weeks of 'I'm chill', and then weeks of 'this is never going to happen' . But then, toward the end of the year when I was dealing w/the job change, I slowly realized that I'm not as rabid about the agent/publishing contract. I still absolutely want it, but it's okay if I go a few weeks without writing, or if I focus on reading, or party planning, or DIYing. I know in my heart that one day I will have a book w/my name on it, and I'm okay w/whenever that happens. Writing makes me happy and turning it into a stress game does me no favors. 

3. Stay positive and believe dreams do come true! So, so. =) On the positive anyway. I still absolutely 100% believe dreams come true. 

***

Well, then. It's time for 2016. Last year's were a bit vague-ish, so I'm going for more concrete. And...shocker!...some of them won't be related to writing.

1. Write a book. Forget two. With always having something waiting in the wings to be revised, two is not happening. But still, writing one book in a year is pretty cool. Go you, Mizz Wallace. (I'm trying to jazz myself up here, ppl. Yanno like a boxer warming up, watching himself in the mirror.) ;) 

2. Spruce up our back porch. Our back yard is yucky. Weedy and buggy. We have a covered porch, but all that's on it is our riding lawn mower and a neglected grill. No more! I'm buying a glider, a chair, repurposing some pillows, buying a fire pit. Gonna make it purdy. I'll admit this one is going to be a struggle. I hate weeds, and I also hate trying to take care of them. It's going to be a woman vs yard battle this summer. 

3. Begin querying this spring. Marchish or Aprilish, I'm hoping to get back in the fray. I had a pretty decent request rate last time, so I'm hoping I will w/this ms as well. But it never goes down the same way twice, so I know I shouldn't get my hopes up. 

4. Revise my New Orleans paranormal. I finished it last summer, and it's just sat there since then. My faith in it wavers, b/c I'm not sure if it's unique enough to really stand out, but I don't want to give up on it either. But I also don't want to expend the sweat, blood and tears that is revising when I could be focusing on something else. 

5. Turn an old headboard into a fireplace mantel. This is one I'm not sure if it's feasible yet. I've seen it done in DIY posts, and our old headboard is languishing out in the shed. I've got to hack my way through the weeds at some point and get out there and measure it. It might be too long for the wall, or completely out of my skill set.  


So those are my intentions for 2016. I hope everyone has a safe & fun New Year Eve's, whether that's out w/family or friends, or staying in to eat chicken burritos at their in-laws! (me, yum!)

24 comments:

  1. Those all look doable! Good luck in 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same with writing goals - I usually overdo it, and end up being reminded that it takes as long as it takes. Just because I want to have a manuscript finished by X date doesn't mean I will be able to make that happen.
    Which is why I like home related goals - that I can do! I have 2 chairs to recover (bought the fabric, just have to put it on ;) and I managed to get prices on fencing the backyard properly. The good news is, we can buy the materials and install it ourselves pretty affordably. The bad news is, we are not handy people, and hiring a crew to put a fence up costs about 150% more than doing it ourselves.
    But it might be worth the money in the end...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so hear you. Our extent of diy home skills is painting. And I think someone would end up dead if we tried to install a fence together, lol! But I wish you the best of luck! =)

      Delete
  3. I like looking back and taking stock at the end of the year. I have found that sometimes my goals are too big and that if I make them smaller and more manageable I am able to not only achieve them, but surpass them (which is a better feeling). It looks like you have given your goals for 2016 a lot of thought. Wishing you the best of luck on reaching them all! :)

    Happy 2016!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally a much better feeling! And thanks!

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year!! I hope you everything you desire this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous goals! We're in for a big year of changes (2nd kiddo graduating, going to college, moving to we-don't-know-where-but-maybe-across-the-country in August when our rental is up, buying a home, getting settled in a new place, 1st kiddo graduating from college early next December), so I'm taking it easy on the goals. I'd like to write a book and get in shape. That's about it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have college-age children?! No idea, you look too young! That is a lot of changes in a year, wishing you smooth transitions.

      Delete
  6. Happy 2016! Congrats on the progress in 2015, not two books but wow still a good bit for sure to be proud of!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A happy New Year to you, Leandra! I think your goals are doable and I esp. love the idea of creating a lovely space on your porch. I can picture you on your glider, enjoying the view and tapping out your story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's good to have goals to help us focus our efforts - but we shouldn't be too hard on ourselves if we don't achieve them all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post leandra! It sounds like you did well last year and have great plans for this one. If you get that mantle thing worked out then be sure to post pics! Happy new year. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely will! And of the backporch too- I wish it were done already! =)

      Delete
  10. Happy New Year!

    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you'll land among the stars. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd say you did achieve #1 from last year if you wrote a novel, as well as a picture book--sounds like 2 books to me. Best of luck on this year's goals!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome goals!! This is our year, I can feel it... :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!