Monday, December 14, 2015

The 3rd Annual First Line Christmas Contest Winners!!!

First, thanks so much to everyone who participated! I always look forward to this contest, and as always, you all did not disappoint. =) Now...let's get to the winners! 

Mackenzi Lee picked...Carrie Beckort's entry!

It was my first time riding the Polar Express, so I didn't know that I'd be denied hot chocolate just for hitting my brother over the head with a nutcracker.

Mackenzi said: I laughed out loud when I read her line. And hers feels like the start of something. It's not trying to be a whole narrative in a sentence--it makes a great set up, and entices the reader into wanting more. And I have been enticed. 

* * *
Victoria Scott picked...Patsy's entry!

After Mrs Lucas bought a red coat and rearranged the letters in her name, the behaviour of local children improved considerably.

Victoria said: After careful thought, I'm choosing Patsy's first line. It's creative, simple, and she managed to establish her voice in a single sentence. Impressive! 

Congrats, Carrie and Patsy! Please let me know if you'd like your copy of Let It Snow through B&N, Kindle, or some other ebook retailer.

* * *

Victoria also made a first line for us: I do my best killin' after sucking on a candy cane.

(Personally, I hope I don't meet this person at any point during the holiday season!) ;)

And so as not to be left out of the fun, here's mine: The ornament glowed softly in the light and I touched it gently, sending it spinning-- just like Step-mother would do to me if she caught me. 

* * *

Thanks once again to our marvelous judges, Mackenzi Lee and Victoria Scott. They both write fantastic books, which I hope you'll check out. 

And lastly, I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season with their friends and family. Merry Christmas!!!



14 comments:

  1. Oh, thank you so much, Leandra and Victoria! There were so many great entries that I'm really surprised to have won.

    I'd like my prize for reading on a Kindle please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! And I just sent it, hope you like it!

      Delete
  2. Darn! Just missed my chance to enter. I'm never any good, but it's great for practice. Congrats to the winners! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved these! I'm so impressed by how much VOICE you can put in a sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All four of these first lines look like great openers to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. After a crappy week, this was a nice surprise for me today! I've been sick so I haven't been on line much this past week. Now my daughter is sick and so I'm still behind! Thanks for picking me, Mackenzi - I can't wait to read my new book. And thanks to Leandra for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so loved all the entries! The winners are amazing, though I don't know how the judges were able to pick!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats to the winners! Those are some great first lines! Thanks for hosting this awesome contest, Leandra!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!