2. Get an agent/publishing contract. Nope. Which let's admit was a dumb one to make! Though I did make it with the intent to focus on my work ethic more. And I think I did pretty decent with that. There were some months toward the end of the year I slacked off, but I'd changed jobs. And while I really like it, it's a totally new (and difficult) field for me, which meant my brains kind of were melting. And some days, still are!
3. Relax about getting an agent/publishing contract. Okay, total fail. Last year I had weeks of 'I'm chill', and then weeks of 'this is never going to happen' . But then, toward the end of the year when I was dealing w/the job change, I slowly realized that I'm not as rabid about the agent/publishing contract. I still absolutely want it, but it's okay if I go a few weeks without writing, or if I focus on reading, or party planning, or DIYing. I know in my heart that one day I will have a book w/my name on it, and I'm okay w/whenever that happens. Writing makes me happy and turning it into a stress game does me no favors.
3. Stay positive and believe dreams do come true! So, so. =) On the positive anyway. I still absolutely 100% believe dreams come true.
Well, then. It's time for 2016. Last year's were a bit vague-ish, so I'm going for more concrete. And...shocker!...some of them won't be related to writing.
1. Write a book. Forget two. With always having something waiting in the wings to be revised, two is not happening. But still, writing one book in a year is pretty cool. Go you, Mizz Wallace. (I'm trying to jazz myself up here, ppl. Yanno like a boxer warming up, watching himself in the mirror.) ;)
2. Spruce up our back porch. Our back yard is yucky. Weedy and buggy. We have a covered porch, but all that's on it is our riding lawn mower and a neglected grill. No more! I'm buying a glider, a chair, repurposing some pillows, buying a fire pit. Gonna make it purdy. I'll admit this one is going to be a struggle. I hate weeds, and I also hate trying to take care of them. It's going to be a woman vs yard battle this summer.
3. Begin querying this spring. Marchish or Aprilish, I'm hoping to get back in the fray. I had a pretty decent request rate last time, so I'm hoping I will w/this ms as well. But it never goes down the same way twice, so I know I shouldn't get my hopes up.
4. Revise my New Orleans paranormal. I finished it last summer, and it's just sat there since then. My faith in it wavers, b/c I'm not sure if it's unique enough to really stand out, but I don't want to give up on it either. But I also don't want to expend the sweat, blood and tears that is revising when I could be focusing on something else.
5. Turn an old headboard into a fireplace mantel. This is one I'm not sure if it's feasible yet. I've seen it done in DIY posts, and our old headboard is languishing out in the shed. I've got to hack my way through the weeds at some point and get out there and measure it. It might be too long for the wall, or completely out of my skill set.
So those are my intentions for 2016. I hope everyone has a safe & fun New Year Eve's, whether that's out w/family or friends, or staying in to eat chicken burritos at their in-laws! (me, yum!)