Today, Victoria Scott, discusses some racetrack dirt (heh, couldn't resist) from the world of Titans, which will be here soon (horses! racing! robots! eek!)...
1. A fav drink of choice at Churchill Downs is the mint julep. If Cyclone Track from Titans were to have a signature drink, what would it be called?
How cool is that? Cyclone Track would have a drink called the Blue Jam.
2. The best drinks have yummy toppers you can eat. What tops the Blue Jam?
I imagine it'd come with a plump maraschino cherry. But the men that frequent the tracks would pluck them out and throw them away. Maraschino cherries would litter the ground.
3. Is it served in a nice glass or plastic cup?
Plastic cup, for sure.
4. Would your main character, Astrid, love/loathe/or feel meh about this drink?
I think she'd like it because it'd bring back memories of her and her best friend, Magnolia, sneaking to the tracks when they were younger. The Blue Jam would have a virgin version, which Astrid and Magnolia would have both tasted, and loved.
5. And finally, the question we're all dying to know (okay, me...) do the Titans eat or drink?
They actually have a snack they eat--oil sticks!
- 2 liter lemon lime soda
- 46 ounce pineapple juice
- 1 gallon blue Hawaiian Punch
For a fun addition (especially at a party) add scoops of vanilla ice cream. Yum!
* * *
She hates them a little, too. Her dad lost everything betting on the Titans. And the races are a reminder of the gap between the rich jockeys who can afford the expensive machines and the working class friends and neighbors of Astrid's who wager on them.
But when Astrid's offered a chance to enter an early model Titan in this year's derby, well, she decides to risk it all. Because for a girl from the wrong side of the tracks, it's more than a chance at fame or money. Betting on herself is the only way she can see to hang on to everyone in the world she cares about.