Sunday, January 3, 2016

In Which I Redo My Header, but Not Really

I wanted to change my blog header description to: ramblings of a book lover, YA writer, & amateur diy-er. Except it didn't fit within my dashy line, so it was a no-go. I once stated that my blog would primarily stay all about books and writing. But you know, my life isn't all about just books and writing, so I've been feeling the itch to break out a bit.

I love all things decorating and diy and party planning. After reading & writing, that's my next big passion. So I'm going to start sharing my diy w/you all. I don't do a lot of diy, but enough that you all might find it interesting every now and then. As for party planning, besides my son's birthday every year (which I always share), I don't do it often. But...I am planning a party this spring that I am SUPER excited about. I get to do pink, y'all! *eeeeeee* I promise, there will be so. many. pictures. 

So, as for amateur diy. If it requires paint and glue, I can do it. But once it starts requiring carpentry, I'm out. Those people that can whip out electric hand tools and go to town have my respect. I can barely even hang things straight. 

My most recent diy attempts have been in my kitchen. These are two cheap frames that I painted and sanded. Then I found 8x10 burlap sheets in the crafting section at Wal-Mart. I popped them in the frames, and then glued a serving fork and spoon to the burlap. 


This sweet little burlap banner also came from Wal-Mart. I bought 4 in. paper doilies, applied mini-glue dots, and folded them around the pennants. 



Lastly, I made a clothespin wreath. Only two materials: clothespins and a wire wreath frame. At first I made it with three rows of clothespin, but it was just too big for the space (and heavy, believe it or not). So I took a row away and it turned out just right. Though I'll admit it's a tad bit frustrating-- you have to be very careful holding and hanging it, otherwise clothespins are popping off right and left.


I have a few more diy's that I want to attempt for my summer back porch transformation, so stay tuned for future projects!

What about you, dear readers? After writing, what is it you like to do? 

39 comments:

  1. I love these, you are so creative! There is nothing wrong with breaking out and sharing whatever you want on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine! I'm weird in that I like for things to stay the same (so books and writing), but I finally decided that variety is the spice of life. ;)

      Delete
  2. The wreath was really clever! Be interesting to see what else you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like those. They seem to go well with the colors already present on your walls. I'm thinking it might be time for me to change my blog's header. My current one was made on Microsoft Word using shapes and fills, haha. Best of luck with your future DIY endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These all came out cute. I love seeing your DIY projects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are awesome projects!
    My favorite is that burlap banner -- so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these. They're unique and so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, life is definitely more than just reading and writing. I love how you share your other creative endeavors and they're so pretty! I esp. like the burlap/lace and we share a love of clothespins :) I like cooking, gardening, singing, playing piano and making our home beautiful too. After all, we spend a lot of time at home, so we are the primary beneficiaries. Can't wait to see your porch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all about the home beautification. =) There's nothing like snuggling down after a long day, and being happy about your surroundings (and who you're with!).

      Delete
  8. I'm rubbish at DIY, but I like to see the creative things other people make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can spend so much time looking at other ppl's diy!

      Delete
  9. How fun! I'm not a diy-er but I love to see what others can do. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm amazed at some of the original things ppl come up with.

      Delete
  10. I love all your diy and can't wait to see mores! You are super talented :) And that wreath is So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have such a great eye for design. Me, I'm like, "I live here. The kids will destroy it anyway." That part of life just has to wait for another season, but I don't mind swiping ideas from your corner of the world. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine it's hard w/lots of children. I have only one, and he's already broken so much of my stuff. Ah, well!

      Delete
  12. Those are wonderfully cheerful and you did them so inexpensively. We can all do with saving money these days, so any DIY tips will be appreciated I'm sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so jealous of your craftiness! I love to pin cool things on pinterest, but never get around to making them. I think it's a great way to showcase your creativity and all forms of creativity are connected :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, I've pinned so much stuff that I'll never get around to. Part of the fun, I guess!

      Delete
  14. I love it Leandra!! Well done! :) So cute. Definitely Pinterest-worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so cute with your craftiness!! I really like how the framed spoons on the burlap turned out! I have a giant spoon in my kitchen set on a piece of wood that I think I paid a lot of money for, so well done! :)

    Can't wait to see more of your DIY stuff! And what is this party in pink??? Now you have me curious...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the big forks and spoons. That's what I originally wanted, but settled w/this. =) And it's Beth Ellyn's book launch party!!!

      Delete
  16. You are so cute with your craftiness!! I really like how the framed spoons on the burlap turned out! I have a giant spoon in my kitchen set on a piece of wood that I think I paid a lot of money for, so well done! :)

    Can't wait to see more of your DIY stuff! And what is this party in pink??? Now you have me curious...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh, I LOVE crafty things! I am very much a DIY-er from birth. I come from a huge family of builders and crafters and makers and, let's be honest, a few hoarders.
    I can use a fair number of power tools, too, thanks to my theater/arts background (learned to build sets back in high school.)
    Current projects include reupholstering my great grandfather's armchair, and another chair we've had for 10 years or so, which is in great shape aside from the pitiful fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mad respect for anyone who can reupholster. I wouldn't even have a clue!

      Delete
  18. Very nice! I like it. You did a good job.

    It's cool to see other people's decorative projects. I'm worthless when it comes to decorating, unless of course it's my office. There, I go hog wild. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Offices are a lot of fun. It's the one place you can really do just all about you, and what makes you tick. =)

      Delete
  19. i love your diy projects. :) those framed utensils are especially cute. i look forward to seeing future posts! crafts and parties are super fun, so i can't wait to see what you're up to.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!