Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Guest Post by Stephanie Faris + the Latest PIPER MORGAN Cover!


Crafts and Writing
by Stephanie Faris

A romance novelist friend of mine published several books over the course of her life. When it came time to retire, she moved to the beach and began acting in community theater productions and designing jewelry. She also paints and redesigns tabletops. I’m in awe of her talent.

I’m not crafty at all, but I have a feeling it’s mostly that I’ve never tried. Creativity comes in many forms and I can see how the skills that make us great writers could also translate to other areas. In fact, knitting a sweater or painting vases could be a relaxing break from coming up with book ideas or working on the next chapter. It might even be a way to think through that tough spot in your current novel.

Crafts can have another use, as well. My non-writer friend was in a basket weaving class recently when she met a novelist who was researching her children’s book. I’m often aware that our characters have a wide variety of interests and when we have hobbies outside of writing, we can bring our extensive knowledge to our books.

It wasn’t crafty at all, but I once wrote a book about ghost hunters. It was something I was interested in anyway, so I loved the chance to take classes on it and go on ghost hunts any time we visited a town. If you think you might enjoy a particular craft but you’ve never tried, consider working it into a book. You can take the class as research and your characters will be better rounded as a result.

* * *

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-g1BcT1qbfpw/VsPEn39F_MI/AAAAAAAAG58/Nkl2jaT_mow/s320/HeadshotSF.jpg

Stephanie Faris knew she wanted to be an author from a very young age. In fact, her mother often told her to stop reading so much and go outside and play with the other kids. After graduating from Middle Tennessee State University with a Bachelor of Science in broadcast journalism, she somehow found herself working in information technology. But she never stopped writing.

Stephanie is the Simon & Schuster author of 30 Days of No Gossip and 25 Roses, as well as the upcoming Piper Morgan series. When she isn’t crafting fiction, she writes for a variety of online websites on the topics of business, technology, and her favorite subject of all—fashion. She lives in Nashville with her husband, a sales executive. 

Website | Blog |
 Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
* * * 

And now for the cover...Puppies! Argh, aren't they just the cutest?!

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-wDJT84WEmqo/VsPEgTPDXZI/AAAAAAAAG54/tuDvacfjJYs/s400/Piper%2BMorgan%2Bto%2Bthe%2BRescue%2BJPEG.jpg


Piper helps some four-legged friends find the perfect home in the third book of the brand-new Piper Morgan series.

Piper is super excited to help out at Bark Street, a local animal shelter in town. Who wouldn’t want to be surrounded by adorable puppies and dogs all day? And when Piper sees Taffy, the cutest dog she has ever seen, Piper is determined to find a way to bring Taffy home. But it won’t be easy—especially when she finds out someone else wants to make Taffy a part of their family, too!

25 comments:

  1. My favorite writer retired from writing to paint. I keep trying to goad her back into writing, but she seems done with that creative outlet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several of my friends who were very active in the 90s have decided to self-publish. Apparently back then they didn't have to market their books all that much and when it shifted, they had a different attitude about it because they remembered when that was a service publishers offered. I guess if you're retired and you don't need the money, why not just do your own thing? Especially if you have a built-in fan base from all your previous books.

      Delete
  2. I think creativity breeds itself and we are all creative in many areas. I may not be crafty, but I am also a musician.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And some people bake or cook...that is a far more creative endeavor than many people credit it as being. Putting together a meal or dessert and tweaking the recipe over time until it's perfect. I'm not all that good at that, either, but I have gone through phases where I baked a lot and I can tell that if I really applied myself, I could become good at it. Mostly I just don't want all those desserts around, tempting me!

      Delete
  3. What an adorable cover! I agree that there's a lot of cross-pollination with various creative endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always wished I were the crafty type, but I never felt relaxed doing anything crafty, like scrapbooking or jewelry making or pottery. I used to LOVE painting. I'd watch the Joy of Painting with Bob Ross and try to paint happy little trees. I was pretty good, but I hated how long it took to set up to paint, and then clean up lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both, Beth Ellyn! Have you heard of Sips and Strokes? It's called different things in different areas, but basically you get a group together (or just a couple of you) and go to a Bob Ross-type class. They walk you through each step and at the end, you've done an amazing photo. They combine wine with it sometimes here, which is where the "sips" came from!

      Delete
  5. I once tried a bit of jewellery making many years ago but I wouldn't consider myself crafty really. I enjoy looking at other people's creations though. Congratulations on the new release, Stephanie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I once wrote a story on a moderately-known 80s actress named Deborah Foreman who left acting. Now she makes jewelry that she regularly shows off on Instagram. Her jewelry is beautiful...it's a great creative outlet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this cover~ so adorable and eye-catching!I'm not crafty, but my characters have a lot of interests, so I've gotten to interview some pretty talented folks for books, which is always fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jessica. Yes, sometimes it's not so much about doing things ourselves but observing and talking to people who do.

      Delete
  8. "If you think you might enjoy a particular craft but you’ve never tried, consider working it into a book. You can take the class as research and your characters will be better rounded as a result." -- This is a wonderful idea when my kids are bigger and I can make the time. There's so much I'd love to learn just to work it into a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when the kids are young, often you only have time to do what they want to do! They do have classes where kids do pottery and such...just observing that could spark an idea.

      Delete
  9. I love getting crafty! I do wish I had more time for it though--lately it's been writing or crafts and writing usually wins :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Meradeth! Not enough hours in the day.

      Delete
  10. What a great idea! Who doesn't need an excuse to learn something new? Or travel like crazy? (That second one is my dream.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Travel can be the most inspiring thing of all!

      Delete
  11. I always thought I should write about a financial analyst to force myself to become more financially savvy. Hasn't happened yet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always thought I should write about a financial analyst to force myself to become more financially savvy. Hasn't happened yet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute cover. Good luck with the series!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!