Friday, February 5, 2016

Updates

Hey all! It's been awhile since I did a state of the union address. Heh. As for life around the Wallace casa, there's not been anything too exciting, as of late. Work, grocery store, and house cleaning is pretty much where it's been at. 

There is an ice skating party my work is sponsoring that is coming up at the end of the month. Which I am super excited about! My one claim to athletic fame (besides being a pretty decent swimmer), is my ability to cross my feet while skating. Maybe there is a term for this? Dunno. But anyhoo, you know when you go into a turn while skating, and it looks like this:

(source)

I can do that. Except...not nearly as fast or professional looking. Or as leaney and low, lol! Is it weird to be proud of this? Oh well, I am. We're taking the kidlet, and I know he's going to have a blast. We'll just have to make sure to snag one of those little walkers for him to use on the ice. I'll try to remember to take pics.

I've also been doing a lot of reading. There are numerous nights where I know I should write, but I just want to get lost in a good book instead. I've reread the entire Lockwood & Co series, and man, oh man. These books are AWESOME. Ghosts in London, w/kid agents who fight them, b/c adults can't see them. If you've not put these books on your TBR list, I suggest you do so like super fast. The humor in these books is fantastic, nice and droll and sarcastic, which is just how I like it. 


I designed the above on Canva. I'm thinking about printing out three different quotes that I love from the books, framing them, and hanging them somewhere. My office would be the normal space, but I'm kind of out of wall space. There's a perfect spot in the hallway I'm deliberating on, but I'm just not sure if I'll really like them there or not. 

On the writing side, I'm still getting in feedback on Chain Gang, my dystopian novel. Then I'll be sending it off again for one final read-through, making changes, and then hopefully, I'll be querying it this spring. I'm also writing a short story, an adaptation of The Princess & the Pea, to submit to the Circuits & Slippers anthology. That's going about as well as you'd expect first drafts to go...*wry grin*

One last thing, McDonald's is giving out books in their Happy Meals! At least in my neck of the woods anyway. The kidlet got the cutest little Pete the Cat picture book, that came w/stickers and valentines, that we're going to give out to family for VDay. It's nice to get something like that for a change. So if you have kidz, might wanna get 'em that Happy Meal they're always clamoring for. ;) 

40 comments:

  1. Leandra I think it'should great you can turn the corner on ice skates... I never learned how to do that. Heck I could barely stop... lol

    Thank you for dropping by my blog and commenting, I really appreciate it, have a fun weekend ♡

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the querying!
    Been so long since I ice skated I'd do good just to remain upright. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it's been awhile for me too, so maybe I'll have lost the feet-crossing magic, who knows? ;)

      Delete
  3. Be proud of the skating - I certainly can't do that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd say you should definitely be proud of that talent. I can't even stand on ice skates!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speed skating is my favorite winter Olympics sport to watch. But I can't do it. I wouldn't even try. lol

    The dialogue fir that image you designed is funny and cute. Love it.

    Good luck with querying! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dialogue in Lockwood & Co is phenomenal! Always makes me laugh.

      Delete
  6. You should definitely be proud, I can't even stand up straight in ice skates.

    Good luck with the querying! And never give up on it. I could paper every wall in my house with all the rejections I've received, but I keep on trucking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mich! That's all you can do, isn't it?

      Delete
  7. They have walkers for kids at the ice rink?! Wish they'd have had them in my day. I could have enjoyed skating and gone home with fewer bruises. Yay for your WIP progress and the new anthology story too. I love the quote - so funny!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! I hope you recover from your cold soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, feeling more normal today! Yes, they crack me up, like little old ppl out there on the ice, heh. =)

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you're moving right along on your projects, best of luck! Awesome that your son got a Pete the Cat book. I remember when Cheerios had little books inside and I've still got a good size collection of them. Have a blast ice-skating and showing off those cool crossover moves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crossover! That's it, sheesh! Lol, thanks, Marcia!

      Delete
  9. It's funny you should mention McDonalds and the books because my 6yo just mentioned it to me. So I guess, I'll be going to Mickey D's soon. I'm a sucker.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww, I love your blog Leandra! So fun. Yes, you should definitely be proud of your ice skating skills! I'm happy and proud that I can speed skate, I used to anyway. Now, I'm an old lady, :) so those days may be long gone, not sure! Cherish your time with your little one and have a blast! Also, I love your writing goals, you've inspired me to do the same. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vanessa! I have not skated since hitting my 30's so who knows, mine might be gone too! =)

      Delete
  11. Good heads up on the Happy Meals, thanks! We get them every now and then, and books-as-toys is as good a reason as any :) You SHOULD be incredibly proud of your skating abilities~ mine are nonexistent. And OMG, YES~ Lockwood & Co. is one of my very favorite MG series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, a fellow fan! I am dying for the next one to get here in Sept, especially since it ended on SUCH a cliff-hanger.

      Delete
  12. Wow Leandra I can't stand straight in ice skates or any skates either. I've not heard of Lockwood & Co. I do like the humour in the excerpt, though. Inmpressive list of writing achievements/goals, too. Good luck with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Madeleine! And check out Lockwood & Co, you won't regret it. =)

      Delete
  13. You should be proud of your ability to cross while skating. I can't even skate ... well, unless I hold onto somebody for balance.
    And is it bad that now *I* want a happy meal? Perhaps I should borrow the neighbor's kid ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! The parents prolly wouldn't mind a little piece & quiet. ;)

      Delete
  14. A. Lockwood is, indeed, awesome. I have books 2 & 3 sitting on my end table here, waiting to be read as soon as I finish my current WIP revision.

    B. I used to be able to do the cross feet skating turn - we had a roller rink two blocks from my house as a kid, and we would go just about every weekend. But I haven't been on skates in about eight years, so who knows if I could still do it!

    C. Everyone has Major Projects going on here, so getting the dishes and laundry washed, and the floors swept/vacuumed at the same time is like a Christmas miracle.

    And lastly - best wishes on querying! So exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, growing up, our youth group went skating during the winter a lot. I loved it! And was where I learned the feet crossing. =) And yay, you're a Locky too! ;)

      Delete
  15. I avoid McDonalds but I am happy to see they're doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your canva design. Cool! I love ice skating. I took figure skating lessons once and got fairly good at it, but I didn't want to jump up in the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's awesome! Jumping on ice would be the scariest, I agree. And the ouchiest, lol!

      Delete
  17. I have never ice skated. I have the worst balance, I'd need one of those kiddie walkers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They should totally make them for the adults too. =)

      Delete
  18. Wait, McDonald's is giving out books in their Happy Meals? Goodness...that's awesome!
    And I'm terrible at skating. I do have to admit that crossing your legs is quite tough. Can't wait to see your pics of the little kidlet on ice! I've never seen those walkers used on the ice before.

    Hope you're having a wonderful weekend! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna! Getting ready to order a pizza, I'm taking a short diet break, heh. But it's the Super Bowl! ;)

      Delete
  19. Be proud of your ice skating prowess! I am ridiculously proud of my skiing skills. It's a real bummer that I might not get to show them off this year. The Pennsylvania skiing season looks like it's going to be short, and I'm still recovering from an injury.

    I know you love Lockwood & Co. (So do I!) Have you read Jackaby? I predict you would love that, too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like fun stuff to me! I can't ice skate at all. Okay, to be totally fair, I'm amazed that I haven't died on the treadmill (yet--and that one time I did fall and get my hair sucked into it doesn't count--I was pushed! :). I hope the party is fun! And the quote you posted is super pretty and wall-worth!

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL! That's an awesome quote. Oh boy. I think I'm going to have to add these to the list.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!