Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Guest Post by Kimberly G. Giarratiano (In Celebration of Dead & Breakfast Releasing!)

Hey guys! It’s my book birthday and I’ll blog if I want to. Thanks, Leandra, for hosting me. (Leandra, as we all know, is a good soul who never fails to amaze me in her generosity for her fellow authors.)

Today Dead and Breakfast is released. A Kindle Scout winner, D&B is also my second full-length novel. My career is sort of all over the place. My first book was published by a small press. I self-published a sequel novella. And now Kindle Press, Amazon’s crowd-sourced imprint, is publishing Dead and Breakfast. If you’re interested in Kindle Scout, I wrote a post about it here. Anyhoo, it’s not easy being an author. Even with Amazon’s backing, there’s no guarantee D&B is going sell gangbusters. YA is a tough market for indies as teens, as tech savvy as they are, prefer physical books to ebooks. Luckily, Dead and Breakfast has crossover appeal to mystery-loving adults. Woohoo!

Set in Key West, Florida (one of the ten most haunted cities in America), the book was inspired by a vacation my husband and I took over four years ago. Key West is really an unusual island. It has pastel-colored Victorian houses with intricate lattice work, double balconies, and turrets. Feral roosters who are protected by the local government roam the streets. Hemingway’s six-toed cats have procreated in abundance. Key West City Cemetery is a striking metaphor for the island as it’s both creepy and whimsical. Epitaphs read, “I told you I was sick.” Scooters are the preferred form of transportation, followed by bicycles, and one’s feet. The humidity is so thick and oppressive, it’s practically corporeal. And every October, people flock to the island for Fantasy Fest, a ten-day bacchanalian party where clothing is very optional.

If you ever get a chance to visit, take it. It’s unlike any other part of Florida. Or the country, for that matter. In the spirit of my book’s release (pun intended), I wanted to share some photos of that trip. I hope you enjoy them.

PICT0028.JPG

Hemingway’s studio

PICT0080.JPG 

Feral rooster

PICT0074.JPG

Fort Zachary -- my husband enjoyed the military history

PICT0065.JPG

Mallory Square during the Sunset Celebration

PICT0099.JPG

Key West City Cemetery

PICT0118.JPG

Beautiful Victorian architecture

* * *

Dead and Breakfast
Available on Amazon

Murder and mayhem in a haunted Key West Hotel!

Despite living in Key West his whole life, 18-year-old Liam Breyer is a skeptic of the supernatural until a vengeful spirit, murdered fifty years ago, nearly drowns him in a swimming pool. Luckily help arrives in the form of pretty — albeit homesick — ghost whisperer Autumn Abernathy, whose newly-divorced mom has dragged her to the island to live and work at the Cayo Hueso, a haunted bed and breakfast.

Although they initially mistrust each other, Autumn and Liam team up to solve the decades-old mystery. But on an island where every third resident is a ghost, dealing with an unstable spirit has deadly consequences. If Liam and Autumn don’t unmask the killer soon, they’re likely to become Key West’s latest haunted attraction.

finaldeadcover.jpg



Kimberly G. Giarratano, a forever Jersey girl, now lives in the woods of northeastern Pennsylvania with her husband and small children. A former teacher and YA librarian, Kimberly adores Etsy, Jon Stewart, The Afghan Whigs, ’90s nostalgia, and (of course) everything YA. She also speaks Spanish, but is woefully out of practice.

Kimberly always dreamed of being a published author. Her other dream is to live in Key West, Florida where she can write in a small studio, just like Hemingway.

* ** 

So in celebration of what I feel is Kimberly's best novel yet (and her writing is always SO good), I made up a table with a tropical feel. Who wouldn't want to be transported to the Keys, sipping on a fruity drink and enjoying some key lime pie? (Me, me!)







26 comments:

  1. beautiful pics and impressive writing ,have a blessed day dear

    ReplyDelete
  2. I voted for this one on Kindle Scout - can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to Kimberly on her release day! Now, please pass some pie ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. can't wait for this one. I LOVE Florida. Spent all my winters down there as a kid, and my WIP is set there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice!! I'd love to be in Florida right -- it's cold in NEPA.

      Delete
  5. Leandra you are the best with your decorations and pies and book promotions!!!

    Kimberly, congratulations on Dead and Breakfast. The title makes me laugh. I loved your pictures of Key West and although we've been to Florida several times, never that far south. Definitely a place I want to visit too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go! You'd love it. Especially seeing Hemingway's house. My favorite part of the visit. And the warm, bathlike water.

      Delete
  6. Book selling can be brutal. But you have an awesome title and an eye-catching cover, that should help!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a perfect invite table, Leandra:)

    Kimberly, the book sounds great and you've reawakened my desire to visit Key West.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful display, Leandra! I would ask if I could swing by for some pie, but it's not my Fun Day so I should pass - does some key lime yogurt count?

    Congrats again, Kimberly! I can't wait to read my copy. I visited Key West with some friends my senior year for Spring Break. It was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations, Kimberly! I've never been to Key West. I need to visit sometime.
    Just do your best to promote. A good book will always finds its audience.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the pun name. Grats, Kimberly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've seen this book promoted around the blogosphere and I've always loved the title of it! Meg Cabot and Judy Blume both live in Key West...they hang out sometimes. How cool would that be, to hang out with two of the best children's/YA authors of our time? Anyway, this sounds like a place I need to visit...since haunted places are pretty much my big obsession.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats to Kimberly. Her book looks intriguing. I've been to the Keys, but not Key West. I must visit one day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We cover all digital and marketing needs for your business. Our marketing is unique and creative unlike others.
    http://auratrends.co.uk/
    http://grabbit.com.pk/

    ReplyDelete
  14. This book sounds great! Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy book birthday, Kimberly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great pictures and congratulations on your new book, Kimberly! Wonderful table decor, Leandra!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!