Friday, April 15, 2016

Author Stop: Kurt Dinan




1. You're an author who has written about pranksters. Are you one yourself?

When I was younger, I played a lot of pranks. Nowadays, I probably just don't have the time. Maybe that's why I wrote a whole novel about pranks; I wanted to live vicariously through them. :) A few years back when email was just being introduced, I figured out how to change the name of the sender on my work email. So instead of the email saying it was coming from "Kurt Dinan" I could say it was coming from the principal or another teacher. I would send emails to friends from the principal telling them to wear pajamas to work the next day as part of spirit week or in one case, that they were under investigation by the state athletic commission for messing up a call during a game. I abused that power a lot longer than I should have! :)


2. I love the plastic cows on your cover. In honor of your book, do you own any plastic cows? Also, do you feel more fondly about cows now, say when you're driving by a field of them?

You know, I need to get a few plastic cows for my writing desk; that would make perfect sense! I had a shirt in high school with a cow on it that I wore a lot more than I should have. That probably goes a long way to explaining my lack of a girlfriend in high school.


3. If you could have one writing superpower, what would it be?

Oh, that's easy--the power of focus! I'm easily distracted, and would love to be able to only write when I sit down to write. Instead, I want to change the playlist I'm listening to, check and double-check and triple-check my email, read the news, etc. I'd be a lot more prolific if I could pay attention better!


4. Best place to get ice cream?

Oh, I love getting Kilwins ice cream in Charlevoix, Michigan when we go there on vacation. It's pretty much a nightly ritual, and makes me happy we don't have a Kilwins nearby.


5. What is a fav line(s) from DON'T GET CAUGHT?

Here’s a quick tip: If you’re ever talking to an adult and need a fast explanation for something unexplainable, say you did it with an app. Adults are awesomely ignorant when it comes to technology. 

* * * 
Blog | Twitter
Kurt Dinan lives in Cincinnati where he teaches high school English. He's doesn't condone pulling any of the pranks in his debut novel, DON'T GET CAUGHT, but if you do, would like photographic evidence, please.


Amazon | B&N | IndieBound | Goodreads

10:00 tonight at the water tower. Tell no one. -Chaos Club

When Max receives a mysterious invite from the untraceable, epic prank-pulling Chaos Club, he has to ask: why him? After all, he's Mr. 2.5 GPA, Mr. No Social Life. He's Just Max. And his favorite heist movies have taught him this situation calls for Rule #4: Be suspicious. But it's also his one shot to leave Just Max in the dust...

Yeah, not so much. Max and four fellow students-who also received invites-are standing on the newly defaced water tower when campus security "catches" them. Definitely a setup. And this time, Max has had enough. It's time for Rule #7: Always get payback.

Let the prank war begin.

7 comments:

  1. Yes, the power of focus. I could totally use that! The book looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The power of focus would be utterly amazing!! And I love a good prank :) My family had a long prank war going when I lived closer...no one got hurt, but a few rogue pumpkins and christmas trees might not have survived.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Leandra and Hi Kurt, I have also written a prank book. Right now its sitting inside an agent's inbox. Love your prank book Kurt, it sounds fun something I would enjoy a lot. And as for the Power of Focus, we all need that. Good luck with your book. Btw.. I am curious about the cows on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds hilarious! I'd be in big trouble if there was a great ice cream store near me too. Wishing Kurt much success! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, say you did it with an app! I bet a lot of people would fall for that. I'd like the power of focus, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The premise of this one sounds so FUN! Congrats to Kurt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read the blurb and thought DUN DUN DUN! It sounds like a fun book, Kurt! Great interview, Leandra!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!