Wednesday, April 13, 2016

CampNaNoWriMo

I have never attempted NaNoWriMo. For me, it seems like a one-way ticket to the loony bin. But I decided to try out the camp version, where any word count is acceptable for the month of April. I joined a cabin, and have been happily plowing away toward my 20K goal.

I'm also trying a method I heard of from Susan Dennard, called magical cookie scenes. Where basically, you don't write something unless it has that 'spark'. So far I'm really liking it. There's no boring stretches of 'let me just get through this' just so I can really get to what excites me in the story. Once I'm done, I'll then have lots of moving around and stitching up to do, but I'm excited to see how this all works out for me. 

My last book I wrote in a smidge over three months, and I'm hoping to do the same with this one. And because I'm sure that in the coming months my love for this story might dwindle a bit (because writing a book! omg, hard work! not always fun!), here's a love list to remind me of my excitement in the first place.

hot air balloons
lace and sequin dresses
a metal caribou
a metal otter
best friends
parties
enemies
afternoon tea
wind-blown fields
the name Chessie
loyal fathers
public cat fights
airships

(Look, I inadvertently made a neat shape!)

P.S. If you'd like to read a sneak peek of my WiP, go here.

15 comments:

  1. I like the magical cookie idea! A lot of times I struggle to get through those scenes that aren't as exciting as the others.
    Good luck with Camp NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really great writing tip, I'm glad I found it.

      Delete
  2. Looks so great! And I've never heard of that cookie idea, but now I'm very intrigued …

    ReplyDelete
  3. Camp Nano is far less pressure than regular Nano and for that, I love it. I'm behind on my word count for Camp and it's okay. Any progress is good. I'm gonna check out that cookie link. I could use some spark.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did NaNo a couple years ago. Intense but productive. I haven't heard of the April offering though. I'll have to check it out next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they do another camp in July. If I'm not mistaken (tho my brain sometimes...)

      Delete
  5. Good luck! And yes, you did make a neat shape. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm doing camp, too! I set my goal at 30k, because that's about how much I have left in my WIP (which will be an 80k contemporary beast when I'm done). I'm behind, but I'm writing, so whatever. :) I love Susan's magical cookies idea. I haven't explicitly written out my list of cookies for this MS, though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, all this talk of cookies, and totally craving some w/a glass of milk right now. =) Good luck, you can do it!

      Delete
  7. Good luck with your WIP, Leandra. I like the hourglass list and the camp page with your excerpt is awesome. Have fun at camp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marcia! It's been fun, even though I have yet to eat a single s'mores. ;)

      Delete
  8. Magical cookie scenes sound interesting. I'm going to have to look into that! Good luck with Camp NaNo!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!