Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Getting Crafty with Elizabeth Seckman!

Today, author Elizabeth Seckman has a fun guest post for us. And make sure to check out her latest release, which has a beaYOOtiful cover!

Hi Leandra! Thanks for having me over. You always have such cool crafts on your blog, I thought I'd share one of my favorite craft cheats. 

Longer, warmer, sunnier days...it's almost summer time! Along with summer, comes more time spent outdoors appreciating gardens and fields of flowers. But suppose you want to bring some of those flowers indoors? Wouldn't it be nice to have a fresh way to display the new blooms?

Here are three super easy, super cheap ways to spruce up some vases that can be bought at the local dollar store, or wash out empty glass food jars.

I started with these three glasses. Each one cost a dollar at the dollar store. I had had spaghetti the night before and like a goof, threw away the glass jar. Fortunately for me, the dollar store had a canning jar (middle, lidded jar).

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dbK3vNRdpOI/VxxFf2xhpLI/AAAAAAAAD5Y/R0wuxGPtiy8hK9TP6DJT_NRgkE7ehF1cACLcB/s320/13090438_10208277115619855_67522384_n.jpg

Now remember, I'm not at all artistic. My craft level didn't progress too far past elementary school, so if I can do these, you can too. 


https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-XQ4YTOm2iHY/Vx1_WqV-3fI/AAAAAAAAD6s/HdVOFjeGtC48VXJ012gELy_nmwvQIPfawCLcB/s320/blue%2Btape.jpg


The first smaller, skinny vase, I wrapped in blue painter's tape, then took it outside and spray painted the exposed area. Note: turn the vase upside down when painting. I didn't and the inside got misted with paint. Oh well, live and learn. 


https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tiCuEQklTf4/VxxFfXb4K6I/AAAAAAAAD5M/d8bK8NOnPgIXtqDS__13ha2sM2-E25d3gCLcB/s320/13084235_10208277113499802_1791030465_n.jpg

The second jar, the canning jar, I cut out a picture of violets out of a magazine and glued it to the glass. I used plain old white school glue. It dries clear, but is not water resistant, so don't soak this jar in water. Clean by dusting or wiping with a damp cloth. 

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-L7zhz14wDGM/VxxFfofbc5I/AAAAAAAAD5Q/F55HvhhgqdUqFypRrgZSCht9sCBCCj0cQCLcB/s320/13077311_10208277115459851_1814380941_n.jpg

The third vase, the bigger, fatter one, I got a roll of pretty contact paper- also from the dollar store- and cut out one of the designs. Then I peeled the sticky off the back of the design and adhered to my vase. Also not water resistant and should not be immersed in water to clean. 

Three ways to create- all cheap and easy!

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-tRaavxgA_qg/VxxFftWvVpI/AAAAAAAAD5U/43_uIUx1Oi8oUDn0HJ3kVB2DLUC-tnb1ACLcB/s320/13046210_10208277112939788_1250315822_n.jpg

* * *

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-6fGR8TYTE08/VyyXQPkK3DI/AAAAAAAAD_E/spLejbAEkPAzGSoVlnNpXPNSWNyCTtMiwCLcB/s320/Keep%2BMe%2BEB.jpg

He came looking for a ghost. Instead, he found a girl. 

Tucker Boone is a war-hardened Marine on a ghost hunt. Fresh out of the corps, Tucker learns he has a missing half-sister, Maddy. The only clue to her whereabouts is a cryptic note…I’ve gone Mad, Mags. Tucker agrees to search for her and heads to Ocracoke, North Carolina where a ghost named Mad Mags is said to haunt the ancient graveyards dotting the island. 

The note doesn’t bring him any closer to finding Maddy, but it does offer him a diversion to the doldrums of civilian life— his new island neighbor, Josie McCoy. Tucker is drawn to her quiet spirit. There’s something special about Josie…a connection he can’t quite explain. 

By summer’s end, he’s mixed up in deception, murder, and the love of a lifetime. Logic tells him to head home and forget the truths he found on the island. But can he walk away? Josie offers him more than love; she offers him hope. When the clues pile up and it looks like she can never be the girl for him, he has to make a choice- play it safe and break her heart, or risk everything for a chance at being swept away.



Elizabeth spends her time daydreaming (she calls this writing) and excavating the day's necessary clothes from piles of dirty laundry. She lives in a small town on the Ohio River in West Virginia, but dreams often of owning a beach house...or at least having a magically clean house. But with four boys, well five if you count their father, this may well just be fantasy.

Oh, and she goes to football games...lots and lots of football games.

So, living in a house of men...doing man things all the time....What girl wouldn't want to escape to a fantasy world of romance, true love, and clean houses?

21 comments:

  1. Very simple! I will still leave the craftiness to you.
    Congratulations on the release, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love canning jars and what clever ideas to beautify them!
    Congratulations on the publication of Swept Away! I laughed about all the boy things and needing some good romance and a clean house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to keep a jar for flowers and trinkets I collect over a year. Then I date it and put it on a shelf. It makes getting souvenirs cheap. Just pick up a rock or a shell from where you're visiting, and you've got a souvenir!

      Delete
  3. I'm not very crafty, but even I can try these :) And that cover is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so NOT crafty. If I can do this, anyone can.

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for having me over! And I agree, the cover is beayootiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This seems like so much fun! I think even I could do that. I just started Swept Away this afternoon and it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm totally reading this book -- it sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do :)

      (I feel so guilty shamelessly prodding, but oh well...)

      Delete
  7. Fun, easy craft. I may do this with my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect craft for kids. If they can cut and glue, they can handle this. I've seen it done with small baby food jars too. Very cute for votive candles.

      Delete
  8. Elizabeth! Well hey, if it's that simple... I used to craft. Before kids. Maybe I will again one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been crafty, but I like to craft...so I need easy cheats.

      Delete
  9. Yay, Elizabeth, this looks super fun and easy! Congrats on your release!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, set in NC's glorious islands. Very cool and the glasses are fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it there. I'm saving my pennies for my beach cottage.

      Delete
  11. I love these ideas. Congratulations and best wishes for your new book, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!