Wednesday, May 4, 2016

IWSG: Obsessively Checking my Inbox...

The ISWG is a community where writers can share their fears and insecurities about the writing life. To learn more, check out their website here.

Oh, wow! This first Wed of the month really snuck up on me. Normally I like to have posts done a few days before I post them, but this one I'm writing on the fly. Which do I feel insecure about? Nope! What I'm feeling insecure about are the queries I recently sent to publishers. 

I'm really hoping to find a good home for my book, and I'm watching my inbox like a hawk-- even more closely than when I was querying agents. I just keep reminding myself that I've done the best I can for my book, it was fun to write, and because of it, I'm just that much better at the craft of writing. As we all know, the time and effort we spend on writing a book is never wasted, even if that book only stays on our computers (or in that figurative drawer).

So now I'm really focusing on my next book. I hit my 20K goal for CampNaNoWriMo, which yay! Though if I could list another insecurity, it's that I haven't written a word on it since last Fri. I usually take breaks over the weekend and write during the week. But it's now Wednesday, and...nothing. Not a single word added to my count. I'm too engrossed w/reading Me Before You. Seriously, I opened up my computer last night, had the word doc up and all ready to go, and couldn't tear myself away from reading this fantastic book. Here's the summary: 

Louisa Clark is an ordinary girl living an exceedingly ordinary life—steady boyfriend, close family—who has barely been farther afield than their tiny village. She takes a badly needed job working for ex–Master of the Universe Will Traynor, who is wheelchair bound after an accident. Will has always lived a huge life—big deals, extreme sports, worldwide travel—and now he’s pretty sure he cannot live the way he is.


Will is acerbic, moody, bossy—but Lou refuses to treat him with kid gloves, and soon his happiness means more to her than she expected. When she learns that Will has shocking plans of his own, she sets out to show him that life is still worth living.


A Love Story for this generation and perfect for fans of John Green’s The Fault in Our Stars, Me Before You brings to life two people who couldn’t have less in common—a heartbreakingly romantic novel that asks, What do you do when making the person you love happy also means breaking your own heart?

* * *

So that's it for me on this ISWG Wednesday! Furiously reading away, in between checking my inbox!

29 comments:

  1. I've heard of that book but haven't read it. I fear the ending. I don't do well with heartbreakers. Wishing you lots of good news in your inbox!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fearing it too! But I'm too invested to stop. =)

      Delete
  2. I loved The Fault in our Stars. I have not read Me Before You. Fingers crossed that you get good news in your inbox soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like we are in similar position this month, Leandra! Good luck with your queries. I have read Me Before You ... a tear jerker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the publishers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me Before You is UNPUTDOWNABLE. When you've finished, read the sequel, "After You"...I love how JoJo Moyes writes about such an emotional, serious event with levity through Louisa's thoughts. The scenes with Louisa at home w/her family gave me such a fun chick lit vibe and it was the perfect offset to the more serious scenes with Will. And don't worry, I have such faith in CG, you know! No need for insecurities :) one trick I did when waiting on agents/on sub was to hide my phone from myself for a few hours at a time. Well, maybe not HIDE, since it's impossible to hide something from yourself lol, but I'd put it in a place that was a pain in the butt to go grab, like in a purse tucked away in a closet in another room. Then in two hours I'd check my mail. I'm not saying it's easy, but it helps! Hang in there!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, that's a good tip! Except...I washed my phone over the weekend. So no worrying about hiding it when I've actually killed it, lol! And I totally agree-- I've just resigned myself to no writing getting done until I finish this book. What I must sacrifice for amazing literature... =)

      Delete
  6. Good luck on your submissions! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
    I have my phone set to give me an auditory notification when I get mail. Every time I hear that Ta-ding! I run to my computer. (And I'm not even waiting for anything in particular.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dianne! There's just something irresistible about getting mail, yanno?

      Delete
  7. I hope you get good news in your inbox! Breaks are nice, even if they last longer than the weekend. Besides, it sounds like you're consuming good creative food!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're just taking a little time to recharge by reading, that's all!
    Good luck with the submissions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose I could totally use a recharge after 20K!

      Delete
    2. Fingers crossed for your queries!

      I enjoyed ME BEFORE YOU. Haven't read the sequel yet. I just finished reading THE CITY by Dean Koontz and loved it.

      Delete
    3. Well, I've finished Me Before You now, and all I want to do is read After You. And also cry over fictional ppl... =)

      Delete
  9. Congrats on your 20k word victory! I'm sending good query vibes your way. I've been obsessed over my inbox for years, and probably will for the rest of my life. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right dead on. There's just something about never knowing what could be coming in to surprise you!

      Delete
  10. Some books are dangerous, eh? *skirting around the dangerous ones* My poor hubby loses me occasionally to a good book/series and I always feel bad about that, but hey, can you blame me? We need that as writers. It's one way we improve our art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Dangerous to poor, shredded emotions...lol!

      Delete
  11. Good luck with the queries! I hope soon you will check your inbox and find great news. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't write this week in order to read The Raven King -- so good.
    Sending you good vibes for getting picked up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Girl, I feel you on the inbox thing! I finally had to just turn notifications on. I have so many things out there right now (nonfiction and fiction) that good news can come at any time. Or no news...for weeks or months at a time, as the way it seems to be going.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Best of luck with your inbox! And that book sounds heartbreaking and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Funny you mentioned the book Me Before You. I just saw it in Target yesterday, and last night there was a commercial on TV about the upcoming movie. Looks good.

    Good Luck watching your inbox. I know how that feels!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The email inbox watching is exhausting! I hope you hear good news soon though! And I do want to check out Me Before You now--I've seen several adds for the movie, but hadn't read much about it until now.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!