Wednesday, May 25, 2016

The Grey Beast

The Grey Beast takes me through snow with no problem. I sit up high in it, able to sufficiently view the land. Granted, sometimes it's left me stranded *cough recently after work w/a dead battery cough*, but it always tries its hardest. It's endured surgery (radiator replacement), new legs (tires), an embarrassing roaring noise (new break pads just last weekend) and while it currently has a breathing issue (air conditioning going wonky), I will stick with my Grey Beast until it lies worn on its side, and I have to execute a mercy killing (dropping it off at the junk yard). 

So yeah. Did I just write an ode to my SUV? Yes, I did. I really love my vehicle (probably because of those two magical words: paid off) even though its not the fanciest thing on the block. It has dents, and a small patch of rust on one haunch. The most recent dent was from trying to ease into my in-laws driveway and squishing a trashcan between The Grey Beast's fender and curb. 

The dent before that one was obtained in the grocery store parking lot. It was a super windy day, so windy I can't recall ever being in wind that strong before. A few gusts actually had my footing off. Anyway, grocery store, strong wind. You guessed it, I'm sure. The Grey Beast was either assaulted by a vicious wolf (runaway cart) or a rogue knight (swinging car door). 

So may I present to you, The Grey Beast. Long may he roam the open road.







Oh, and in other news, I'm now on Instagram! Find me here.

19 comments:

  1. What a lovely steed! I have recently been on the lookout for a new ride, as even though mine has those two lovely magical words, it hates the snow. Montana and a car that doesn't do snow is like trying to ride a giraffe in the forest. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, love that comparison! And yes, you need a vehicle made for snow, for sure!

      Delete
  2. Vehicles you own free and clear are the best! It killed us going back to a car payment when we finally got my husband a new commuter car, but it had to be done. *sigh* Here's to many, many years of reliable driving and good memories, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It totally is, and ugh, I feel your pain!

      Delete
  3. Despite the dings, he still looks in good shape. May he not let you down for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having a paid off car really is the best, right?
    I followed you on Instagram! I joined just a little while ago as well. So far I've only posted pictures of my cat...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, it gets the job done! I think it's a very attractive SUV. I think people who leave their shopping carts in the middle of the parking lot instead of taking them back to the stalls are a special kind of evil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? There's just something about The Grey Beast's shape that I really like.

      Delete
  6. I love my beat up old car. :)

    Following you on Instagram!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice writing Leandra. You created a loving ode to a car. And yes, the freedom of being able to shout out the two magic words, "paid off!" is wonderful indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband still has his Nissan Sentra from 1994. It also has that magical charm of "paid off". Actually, all of ours are paid off. I've never really been that fascinated with cars to want to spend money on them. Most of our budget goes to travel. I need to see everything, but only have the money for some things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, paid off is a wonderful thing! The Grey Beast looks like a cool SUV with many more adventures to take. I'm in the process of saying good-bye to my Pontiac Vibe, Pepper. She was my first really nice car and one that I actually named, we paid for her with a first home tax credit, and she took us on so many great adventures. While I'm not excited about taking on a car loan, I'm looking forward to our first road trip with our new-to-us Rav4. Just need to come up with a name! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!