Monday, September 26, 2016

Acting on My Dreams

I bought something when I was out at Wal-Mart last week. At first, I debated whether or not to put it in the cart, as I wasn't buying it to use right now, but for a later purpose. The item in question was a pack containing an oven mitt, hot pads, and kitchen towels and they were of HOT AIR BALLOONS!!!! 

Right away, I thought: This would be a perfect giveaway item for my book launch party for A LOVE TURNED BITTER (in which there are hot air ballons-- bada bing!).

Yes, that's the book I'm currently drafting. So no, it's not done, not revised, doesn't have an agent, and most definitely, doesn't have a book deal. 


I've been writing for eight years with the goal of getting a book published. Some days it feels like it's never going to happen. Yet I know if I keep trying, it will. I've already had some successes (three short story acceptances!), and can see that I'm growing and learning and getting better. 


But still...there's the waiting. The time it takes to craft a story worthy of being sent out into the world. The querying, and then: repeat. And repeat again, and again, and again, as many times as necessary.

This then, is how I sometimes cope with all the waiting: I think of the future. I dream and plan. I create secret boards on Pinterest for book launch parties for each of my books. I save author newsletters, noting what I like about them, for the day I, too, will get to send them. I participate in this great community of writers, finding friends, and trying to be helpful.


I know it's only a matter of time before I reach my goals. The eight years (and however many more) that I've invested will not go to waste. They are just the crucial stepping stones to the place that I want to be. 


So in the meantime, I buy hot air balloon kitchen towels. Aren't they the cutest? 






And turning it over and seeing this, was the icing on the cake!

30 comments:

  1. The publishing world is slow. That's one of the reasons I've decided to go indie. I have a huge backlog of books ready for the world and waiting on traditional deals just isn't working for me.

    I love the swag you bought. I hope you get to use it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're such a fast writer, I completely believe that you do! =) I'm excited to follow along on your journey, I think 2017 will be a great year for you.

      Delete
  2. I hate the waiting, and the depending on other people. I've often thought about self publishing, even though I have an agent. I haven't even gone on submission yet and I've been with her for over a year and a half! So yeah, publishing is slow. But those are super cute things for a giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, really? I figured you were on submission already, and one day, we'd hear some great news out of you. Which I still know we will! =) (sorry for the waiting tho, that's rough!) I think that will be a journey all in itself, knowing that even if I do get an agent, that's only one part. Some days I miss the naive me that used to think having an agent automatically meant publishers were beating down your door to hand you a contract. ;)

      Delete
  3. I love those towels!! So adorable. And I think it's perfectly awesome to have them now as a token toward where you want to be. You'll get there, no doubt! (Though the waiting...some days it can be draining!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they? I was so happy to find them! And draining is a good way to describe it.

      Delete
  4. Now you have some real motivation! Finish and get it published or those will sit in a drawer forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, that's such a great idea! And think how touching that story will be on the night of your launch party. You'll be able to stand up and talk about how you hadn't even sold the book yet but you BELIEVED! (Plus, those are just totally adorable!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool! That's a great idea--to have something concrete like that to keep in front of you while you work and dream! You'll get to that Launch Party someday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having physical reminders really do help me, I've found. And thanks!

      Delete
  7. Wow! They're so cute and with the saying on the back it seems like they were designed for you! You can have the book launches and all the things you dream about without waiting for an agent. There are plenty of small publishers and successful self-pubbed authors out there now. (There are also many authors with agents that still can't sell their books even after years.) I say just go for it!

    (BTW, I sent you an email with my release info a few days ago. I hope you got it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true! And yes, I did. Sorry I didn't send a confirmation, I kept thinking I needed to get around to that and then...well. =)

      Delete
  8. They are the cutest!

    And when you launch big, everyone will say how lucky you are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute. I hope you're enjoying this time too because as fun as it is to leap the fence to "published," there is so much value and joy to be hand in the yearning years. Now is when you get to enjoy writing to its fullest. Please do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are the cutest towels ever! And I love that you're secretly planning your launch party—I need you to come here and plan mine! Lol. But seriously, keep dreaming big because it's gonna happen soon, and when it does, it will be a WHIRLWIND! And you'll love every minute of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I wish I could, that would be the bestest! But I think you're going to do a super stellar job on your own, no question about it. =)

      Delete
  11. That dish towel set is adorable! I admire how organized you are for the future, and the giveaways you already have planned. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sure you'll get it(I hope is the right verb :))Go on with your dreams and I love the towel.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are great! I do the same thing, spot a little something that ties in with my WIP and figure: someday I'll need this!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!