Thursday, September 8, 2016

Circuits & Slippers: Meet the Authors #1

I am back from my blogging hiatus! Sooner than expected, b/c a certain anthology release kind of crept up on me...That's right, Circuits & Slippers is releasing at the end of the month!! From now until then, I'll be doing weekly blog segments titled Meet the Authors. Each of the authors will share their story title and explain why they picked the fairy tale they chose to retell (w/a twist!) in C&S.




Christopher Walker
Author of Some Assembly Required

I have two daughters, one's four and the other's one and a half years old, and we'd begun working through a book of Grimm's fairy tales. A lot of them are still too grown-up for them - I think Hansel and Gretel and Little Red Riding Hood are a shade too macabre - so I began with the Fisherman's Wife. My eldest loved this so much that we reread it a number of times over the following days, and so the story rather stuck in my head. I thought that the moral would work well with a science fiction twist - 'Be careful what you wish for', and so 'Some Assembly Required' was born.


Bio:
I am a writer and English teacher working in the south of Poland. I grew up reading science fiction, progressing from the magnificent Timothy Zahn 'Star Wars' books to the far more complex and rewarding fiction of Stanislaw Lem. I also have a fondness for travel writing, and recently had a piece published by The Telegraph newspaper in the UK in their 'Just Back' series.


_________________________________________________________________



Jennifer Lee Rossman
Author of Scrapefoot

About a year or two before I saw the C&S call for submissions, I'd actually tried to retell Goldilocks but with aliens instead of bears. I don't quite remember why, although Goldilocks had always been one of my favorite stories - I can remember my father telling it as a bedtime story - but the idea never really worked until I got rid of the aliens.

Bio:
Jennifer Lee Rossman is a science fiction geek from Oneonta, New York, where she crochets, watches Doctor Who, and threatens to run people over with her wheelchair. Scrapefoot is her first published story.

Blog | Twitter

16 comments:

  1. Loving the new blog look Leandra! And I'm excited for this release :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for this release! I love your idea for featuring each author and having them explain why they chose the fairy tale they did. I always find that kind of behind-the-scenes stuff fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited for the release! I really liked the stories behind the stories--and Fisherman's Wife is one of my favorites of Grimm's. A sci-fi twist on both these tales sounds really intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Fisherman's Wife is a new one to me, so I'm really intrigued to read Christopher's story.

      Delete
  4. Nice to meet you Jennifer and Christopher!

    I like the new look of your blog, Leandra!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to meet the authors of this fun anthology.

    Have a great weekend, Leandra.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful introduction to these wonderful authors. Can't wait to read both of these stories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun post! The anthology sounds intriguing.

    I like your blog's new look, although I have to increase the screen size to see the Times New Roman typeface (which is not my favourite).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heyyyyy! The new look for your blog is so cute! Loving it! The anthology sounds amazing & I can't wait to read them all. Will you also be telling us which story you chose and why? Because you know I'm all full of curiosity! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesome. I can't wait to read the book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your new look blog looks awesome. This anthology sounds good.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!