Friday, September 23, 2016

Circuits & Slippers: Meet the Authors #6

Circuits & Slippers is an anthology that mixes fairy tales with science-fiction, and releases at the end of this month! In these weekly Meet the Author segments, the authors will share their story title and explain why they picked the fairy tale they chose to retell (w/a twist!) in C&S.




Lizz Donnelly
Author of CAT Beyond the Moon


I chose Puss in Boots, or The Master Cat as the original version was called, after a few false starts at other stories. I knew I wanted to use a less common fairy tale, so that it would be less likely that a bunch of other writers would do the same story. The Princess and the Pea didn't work out at all, although I tried. When I finally decided on Puss in Boots the story unfolded very easily so I knew I'd made the right choice. It probably helps that I have my own Master Cat at home. She doesn't defeat a lot of ogres, but definitely bosses me around.

Bio:
Lizz Donnelly has a BA in English from Binghamton University and an MFA in Writing from Goddard College. Her short story “CAT Beyond the Moon” is featured in the anthology, Circuits and Slippers. She is currently finishing her grad school thesis novel, an alternate history of WWI. Lizz lives in Baseball-land, New York, and spends her free time knitting, entertaining her cat, and glaring at the tourists.You can find her on twitter @LizzDonnelly.

__________________________________________________




Diane Dubas
Author of The Slumbering Hill

I have always loved Sleeping Beauty, from the jilted fairy queen and tragic prophecy, to the daring prince and tangle of thorns. When the C&S call came out, my mind went immediately to that story and I started asking what ifs. What if the prince wasn't a prince at all? What if the world was very different than it is now? What if the sleeping princess came from space? I had a lot of fun writing this story and playing with such a well-known and loved tale.

Bio:
Diane Dubas is a fiction writer living in Ontario, Canada. She enjoys long discussions about dragons, contemplating the universe, and getting caught in the rain. Her fiction has been published in Inaccurate Realities, Saturday Night Reader, and the following anthologies: Wings of Renewal, and Don’t Open Till Doomsday. Follow Diane on twitter (https://twitter.com/dianedubas), Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/dianedubasauthor), and tumblr (http://dianedubas.tumblr.com/).


______________________________________________


Allan Davis Jr.
Author of The Girl, The Stalk, and Entropy


If you’re going to turn a fairy tale into science fiction, what better story than the one where the kid climbs all the way to outer space? Granted, trading away an arm is more serious than a cow for some magic beans--and probably more idiotic, too. Then you’ve got the boss battle at the top of the stalk, and the goose that lays the golden eggs--well, best not to spoil too much, right…?

Bio:
Allan Davis is a writer, photographer, computer geek, husband, father, and libertarian, though not necessarily in that order. He blogs intermittently at allandavisjr.blogspot.com.

________________________________________________


Leandra Wallace (oh hey, that's me!)
Author of Prina and the Pea

I decided to retell The Princess and the Pea, because that story always struck me wrong. People are people, and just because you're royalty, doesn't mean that you're extra special. And it definitely doesn't give you more sensitivity than the average joe. So I decided to give the 'princess' a real reason to be able to sense that tiny o' pea, other than the reason of being such a special cookie. ;)

And that is all for C&S: Meet the Authors! Circuits & Slippers will be out next week, Sept. 29th!! 

10 comments:

  1. The princess's sensitivity always bothered me too. I'm glad you chose to retell that story for that reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Glad it's coming out so soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are there two Princess and the Pea retellings in this book? I think I remember another author saying they retold that story too.

    I love Lizz's photo. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are (good memory). Me and Shannon McDermott. =) And isn't it funny- that's one giant sweet potato!

      Delete
  4. Woot! I'm looking forward to reading your story, Leandra. I totally agree with your view on the princess's role.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was such a fun series of posts. I like getting to know the other authors and I hope it's getting people excited for the book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on getting into the anthology! I love your take on the un-special princess. All these stories sound very good. That picture of the potato makes me all kinds of curious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a fun idea, mixing science fiction with a fairytale. I am going to write a short story keeping this in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to meet the crew. Here's trusting you'll have sales out of this world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is going to be such a fun collection of tales!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!