Monday, October 17, 2016

Author Stop: Imani Josey & The Blazing Star



1. The Blazing Star appears to have a strong sister theme. Do you have a sister? Or (like me) did you always wish for one?

So great of you to notice! I gravitate towards sisterhood in my writing as I’m one of three girls (no brothers, though I always wanted one). I’m in the middle (even though my little sister is significantly younger than my older sister and me, making her experience more like growing up as an only child). I had Portia and Alex (Portia is the protagonist of this story, and Alex is her genius twin) in my head for awhile before I started writing, but when I realized they were sisters, the words started to come. It was like, Oh, I get this relationship.

I also like exploring sibling relationships because in many YA stories, the protagonist is an orphan or any only child, or is much older than their siblings so they’re more like a substitute parent. I thought that was interesting, because so many people have siblings and outside of your parents, it’s the first relationship you’re navigating. No one knows you like your siblings. My older sister told me literally yesterday, “You’re the longest relationship I’ve ever had.”


2. What is your favorite weekend activity?

My favorite weekend activity is inactivity. My life can get hectic some (all of the) time, so when I get time to do nothing, I savor it.


3. Can you share some interesting things about Egypt (part of the TBS's setting) with us?

I find ancient Egypt fascinating! The Blazing Star is a semi-historical fantasy set in present day Chicago and ancient Waset (Thebes/Luxor). In the book, Portia has an encounter with a scarab beetle ornament in her history class (our inciting incident). Scarabs were sacred to the ancient Egyptians, represented in amulets and jewelry. The ancients were intrigued by the beetles as they seemed to emerge from the burrow from where they were born. The ancients called them kheprer and associated them with the sun/creator god Khepri. Portia wears her blue scarab throughout the book.


4. How does your writing process work? Do you stick to a certain formula, or does it vary from book to book?

The Blazing Star is my first book, so I had to discover my book-writing process. I’d written articles, short stories, plays, and novellas for my friends, but learning how to write a book was a different animal. When it comes to writing, I see the scenes first. The first scene I wrote in The Blazing Star is now Chapter 28-Swordplay. For awhile I was stringing scenes together (yep, pantser) and then after a lot of editing, I learned I had to start outlining. Even if the outline’s points change (AND THEY WILL), you need to have SOME idea of where you’re going. I also like to write in the morning (6 am-10am), and preferably away from home (and on a desktop).


5. Quick! Which is cuter: baby pandas or baby otters?

Baby otters! Have you seen the otter snacking video????


6. Please share a favorite line(s) from TBS.

Hahaha! I shouldn’t laugh but oh well, here are a few:

· “As expected, a dumb freshman had strayed and they batted her around like maniacal kittens with a ball of yarn.”

· “I didn’t know if she won the Academic Decathlon or the Miss America Pageant.”

· “You are like the sun.”

___________________________________________________________



Imani Josey is a writer from Chicago, Illinois. In her previous life, she was a cheerleader for the Chicago Bulls and won the titles of Miss Chicago and Miss Cook County for the Miss America Organization, as well as Miss Black Illinois USA. Her one-act play, Grace, was produced by Pegasus Players Theatre Chicago after winning the 19th Annual Young Playwrights Festival. In recent years, she has turned her sights to long-form fiction. She now spends the majority of her time working on backstory, teaching dance fitness classes, and cuddling with her American bulldog, Thor. The Blazing Star is her debut novel.





Sixteen-year-old Portia White is used to being overlooked—after all, her twin sister Alex is a literal genius.

But when Portia holds an Egyptian scarab beetle during history class, she takes center stage in a way she never expected: she faints. Upon waking, she is stronger, faster, and braver than before. And when she accidentally touches the scarab again?

She wakes up in ancient Egypt—her sister and an unwitting freshman in tow.

Great.

Mysterious and beautiful, Egypt is more than they could have ever imagined from their days in the classroom. History comes alive as the three teens realize that getting back to the present will be the most difficult thing they’ve ever done. Stalked by vicious monsters called Scorpions, every step in the right direction means a step closer to danger.

As Portia and the girls discover that they’re linked to the past by more than just chance, they have to decide what it truly means to be yourself, to love your sister, and to find your way home.

10 comments:

  1. Great interview, as always. Leandra asks the best questions. I too wished I had a sister, and I love ancient Egypt. Congrats on your debut!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "My favorite weekend activity is inactivity." <--Yes. This!!! The book looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sisterhood stories. I have sisters and girlfriends who feel like sisters. I can't imagine my life without them.

    Best of luck to Imani! If writing doesn't work out, she can always model. But the book sounds great, so no need to switch careers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a classy cover! I had a sister growing up, so I love stories about that subject.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cover. And sister relationships are the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing cover.Love the interview :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh! What a fun concept! I'll admit, I would never wear a scarab. Living in Florida, dealing with big bugs all the time... But hey, if it could give me super powers...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great interview. Thanks for sharing!


    www.ficklemillennial.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interview, ladies!
    What a gorgeous cover! Wishing you many sales, Imani.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful interview and lovely cover. Congratulations Imani!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!