Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Life Updates

I've nothing bookish to talk about (still drafting), or any authors to showcase at the moment, so instead I'll tell you about my incredibly fascinating life (haha). 

I finally broke out the fire pit I got for my bday (picture evidence here) & put it together. I then discovered that I am hopeless at maintaining a fire. I think my chunks of wood were just too big, and I needed more lighter fluid. I was having trouble even getting cardboard to light! But I did have a fire going long enough to eat two s'mores and multiple burnt marshmallows, so yum-win. 

I'd mentioned that we were planning on selling our house next year. Well, since then, we've had some major car problems that we took a hit on finance-wise, which caused us to take a step back and really reevaluate. So we've decided to stay put and just update as we can. And I'm happy with that. I've found I'm really looking forward to painting the entire house, as I'd forgotten how something as simple as a new coat of paint can help freshen things up.

And I've decided in the spring that I'm going to have a major garage sale and get rid of so.much.stuff. I'm excited to declutter and go w/the less is more mentality. I've decided all I want in the living room decor-wise is a large mirror & an oversized wall clock (I love those). 

And speaking of decluttering, for the sake of just that, I did make a recent purchase. I bought this cart:


Because I am taking back my kitchen table!!

Every day when the hubs comes in, he dumps his gym bag on the table. And then there's all his bottles. He's big into fitness, and the table constantly stays covered in his protein powders & pills. NO MORE! This cart will be in its own designated nook & if I so much as see a dusting of protein powder...Well, it ain't gonna be pretty. 

So those are my big weekend plans, putting together a cart. And maybe toasting some more marshmallows as...more than likely...there probably won't be any chocolate left for actual s'mores by the end of this week. ;)

27 comments:

  1. He better not spill that powder then.
    Decluttering is always a good thing. Even if it does make room for more stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, b/c I used to be all about the decorating. If it was a flat surface, it had something on it. Not now! Never again! =)

      Delete
  2. Cute cart! I love it! Way to take back your kitchen table. Lol. Let me know how that plays out. :)

    I totally need to declutter... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty sure it's going to be a bitter battle. ;)

      Delete
  3. Ha ha ha, way to go you! You take back that kitchen table - I feel inspired to try to do the same. But right now, we're redoing all the floors on our main level, so I don't even have a kitchen table since everything is stowed in the garage. Maybe after we put it all back, I'll have some kind of rule :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, that's some major upheaval! Home remodeling is so frustrating, but so nice when it's done.

      Delete
  4. HA!! My mom did the SAME thing with the cart in the kitchen. We tend to dump all our crap on the kitchen table and my mom had had enough. So we have a cart like that now. I still dump my crap on the table though b/c I'm lazy lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it put up! And so far, so good. We'll see tho. ;)

      Delete
  5. Love the cart. You totally should have had me there to get your fire going. No kidding. Dad was a scout master for 27+ years. If it's outdoorsy, I'm probably a pro.

    Good luck with the decluttering. I'm a big fan of less is more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely could of used you then, lol!

      Delete
    2. Right?! If only you knew about my teleportation device.

      Delete
  6. SO cute! I'm always decluttering. I hate clutter. People think it's weird that I'm an author and avid reader, yet I have not a single book around (except my own). It's all on my Kindle. Reading five books a month? Those books would PILE UP after a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely get it. I've gotten rid of SO many books in the last year, and it's really nice. Now, I pretty much only have my favs left, and it's nice to look at my bookcase & just see those.

      Delete
  7. That looks like such a super cute and useful cart! Great idea of where to store stuff--I hope your husband sticks to it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He came home on Sat when I wasn't there (grocery shopping, joy) and I was so happy to see he'd immediately put his gym bag on it. I didn't even have to train him, whoo! =D

      Delete
  8. Decluttering sounds fantastic. Where yours is the table, our's is the front foyer. We would just drop our bags and other stuff and kick off our shoes and it'd be a mess. So I moved an unused metal shelf rack thingy down there, and all the bags go in the top part and the shoes get lined up nicely on the bottom. So far, so good! I hope your kitchen nook works out well for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like those type of racks, I've seen alot of different types. I like the one that has seating, seems like it'd be nice to plop down and take off your shoes when you get home. =)

      Delete
  9. That cart looks useful and every now and then is good to declutter.Good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best of luck with decluttering, the cart seems like a good idea. I've been trying to declutter for years now, it's not easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't! This weekend I took out several items of furniture that were more for looks than actually sitting in, and the living room looks alot more roomy- so nice!

      Delete
  11. Ooh toasting marshmallows sounds nice! :D We've never had a fireplace or a firepit but I've always secretly loved them so #goals for one day.😂 And yayyy for decluttering and keeping things organised! I try that all the time but my dog is really intent on spreading his toys all over my bedroom floor. Sneaky little thing. -_- 😂 Good luck with the painting too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't either, and that's why I asked for one, as I loved it whenever we'd go to a friend's house and they had a fire going. So cozy! And thanks!

      Delete
  12. I need one of those carts. Or two. Or three. My counters and table tops become buried under mounds of paper from two students, one professor, and one writer. The clutter in this house is so bad, I need to take a week or two away from the computer and deal with it...but not this week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to declutter and paint too. You're right, small changes can be so big.

    For your fire pit, get some fire starter bricks. Break one in half and let it do the work, because you're right- it's harder than it looks to keep a fire going.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ugh, my husband dumps his gym bag on the floor too. I'd never get him to use a cart like this. Sometimes my daughter and I hide his stuff when he leaves it out though. It's fun to watch him try to find it again. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love that cart, Leandra! And I so hear you on the decluttering. We just sold our house and are temporarily living at my in-laws (our townhouse will only be ready in another couple of weeks). I've done a lot of decluttering over the last few months but after packing everything and seeing how much we still have, I realize I'm nowhere near done. ;)

    Good luck with the painting, too!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!