Thursday, May 4, 2017

IWSG: What If I'm Never Good Enough?


The IWSG is a community where writers can share their fears and insecurities about the writing life. To learn more, check out their website here.



I'm in the process of revising the best book I've ever written so far (at least I think so, my critique partners haven't weighed in yet, lol). My hopes for this book are high, and I think if I'm ever going to get my foot in the door, it will be with this one. 

But I can't help but worry that no matter how much I work to better my craft, or years that I pour into this passion, I'll always fall just short. That the requests will always then end up being a no, and I'll never be agented. 

Then I worry that if I ever do get that magical creature, I'll be doomed to never sell. How disheartening would it be to complete one of the steps, but then never be able to cross that final hurdle? 

I'll also admit, I've been writing for nine years, and the question of how much longer will it be before I get my break, is one that I often ruminate on. So these are just worries that plague me at times. You know, the 'but am I truly good enough' variety you throw out there into the universe. =)

But despite all the doom & gloom of the above, I'm quite happy w/how my writing is going at the moment. I've started getting up in the morning, and this new routine is working quite well for me. I can really focus, and I look forward to writing now. And the cup of hot vanilla tea with seven spoonfuls of sugar I make every morning...

22 comments:

  1. You are good enough and will get through that door. I'll bet you cupcakes on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep focusing on the things you can control, like the new routine, enjoying the writing process, etc. You'll get wherever you need to go, wherever you're meant to go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have confidence you can do it! You're just too adorable not to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I relate to this post SO MUCH. Just know, never give up and it'll happen. I believe in you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often feel I'm not good enough for some things. But I'm being persistent with my memoir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Persistence is a writer's best buddy. =)

      Delete
  6. If it's the best thing you've ever written, be proud and hang on to that. just keep marching forward.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Remember that this business is subjective and it's based on trends, opinions, and ideas on what sells - not a judge of your talent. You're a wonderful writer. I can't wait to read this new book of yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that means a lot coming from you!

      Delete
  8. Your post echoes my own thoughts. I just finished revising a novel that I feel is the strongest piece of writing I've crafted so far (and am also waiting for betas/CPs to weigh in). And yet I know that there are plenty more stories ahead of me, and there's lots of room to grow. I'm not sure what the answer is to this uncertain path. Perhaps it's learning to live with that uncertainty and embrace the journey itself--focus on the story, not the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think we all have these fears. Hard to see them past sometimes. But what's positive is that you have faith in this story. You're onto a winner if you're getting words down in a regular routine, too. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like your current WIP is going great. Hang in there, persistence is what counts in the end. So many authors said they almost quit right before they finally got 'the call.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels so nice to start getting it whipped into shape! And you're right about that.

      Delete
  11. Hey, if a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, then seven is even better! Keep writing and you WILL get there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I honestly think that any writer who doesn't share those doubts has a problem. Maybe the most important thing, though, is to remember that neither the agents nor the publishers really are the last word on whether your work is "good enough." You will have to decide that for yourself (and give up on perfect!).

    Hang in there, keep writing, and learn to love the process (then no matter what happens, it's all good).

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!